Good nutrition that supports good health can also taste good, as this healthy recipe for sweet potato toast shows. Easy, yummy flavors and oh-so good for us.
1. Slice a sweet potato into thin slices. I like to use the white sweet potato instead of the orange, but either work.
2. Toast it. You might have to toast it several times to cook it through. I use a toaster and my smoke alarm often goes off because I have to toast more than once. The key is to slice the sweet potato thin, so it cooks quickly in the toaster. But you can use the broiler–just turn it half way. I think that’s too much work so for me, it’s the toaster.
3. Slice a ripe avocado. Or mash it.
4. Top the sweet potato slice with avocado. Either slices or mash.
5. Eat it without any dressing OR dress it with a little balsamic vinaigrette.
That’s it. Simple to make.
Now, why use sweet potato? It has half the calories as a piece of toast and so much more of vitamin A, B6, B1, B2, niacin, vitamin C and potassium.
If you prefer bread, use a healthy bread–I like to use German brown bread or thick whole grain.
Put a little side salad with it and it’s a nice meal that’s healthy, too!